Silky Smooth Buttercream Topped Vanilla Cupcakes
The secret to these perfectly simple vanilla cupcakes is spending time on the making of the buttercream.
When you make buttercream sometimes it can turn out stodgy or overly sweet, but if you mix it properly and pipe it onto your cupcakes you will end up with a light and deliciously creamy buttercream topped cupcake.
- 125g Self raising flour
- 125g Golden caster sugar
- 125g Soft unsalted butter
- 2 Large eggs
- 1/4tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/2 tbs Milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
How to make cupcakes:
- Pre heat the oven to 170 degrees centigrade (150 fan)
- Cream together the butter and caster sugar.
- Add 2 eggs and vanilla extract, then briefly whisk until all is combined.
- Sift in the flour and bicarbonate of soda and fold all the ingredients together gently until you are left with no traces of flour.
- Add the milk if the mixture is too dry. It should just drop off the spoon.
- Spoon the cupcake mixture into cupcake cases set inside a muffin tray.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 12 – 15 minutes
- Take out, leave to cool then decorate with piped vanilla buttercream.