Steamed Jam Sponge Pudding
Wow! Jam sponge with custard.
This is a classic pudding that make you feel homely and warm and, well, just happy!!
Ingredients for Jam Sponge Pudding:
- 100g Unsalted butter (soft)
- 150g Golden caster sugar
- 200g Self-raising flour
- 4 tbs Raspberry Jam or Golden Syrup
- 2 Whole eggs
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1 -2 tsp milk (If required)
How to make a steamed jam sponge pudding:
- Bring to the boil water in a steamer and turn down to simmer
- Lightly butter and flour the insides of 4 baking moulds
- Drop the tablespoons of jam or golden syrup into the moulds
- By hand or using a food mixer beat together the butter and sugar till thick and creamy
- Beat in the eggs and egg yolk, combining throughly
- Sift in the flour and fold till everything combined
- Add milk if the mixture is too thick. You want a medium soft paste.
- Fill each mould 3/4 full with the mixture
- Cover each mould in foil, lightly crimped around the edges. Just firm enough to hold in place but not too tightly that it will restrict the batter from rising.
- Place in a steamer and let it simmer for at least 40 to 50 minutes.
Pour over hot custard, cream or serve with ice cream – and if it makes you feel healthier, some fresh fruit!
When steaming larger puddings try this method of wrapping your pudding and steaming.