How to Make Easy Meringues for a Quick Dessert
VIDEO: There are several methods to baking meringues but this easy meringues recipe gives great results.
The key is to whip every stage correctly.
I learned this from making sooooo many mistakes.
My meringues would turn out too soft, too hard, crumble to pieces or would just not separate from the baking tray. They were so attached to the baking tray I almost needed a chisel to shift them!
Video: How To Bake Easy Meringues
Using a piping bag will give you more professional results but there is something so satisfying about home made, rough-and-ready meringue nests. Decoration is key, as can be seen in these passion fruit curd meringues.
Always bake at a very low heat as this will ensure you end up with a white meringue and not a slightly brown one. Also, by letting it dry out naturally you will end up with a crunchy exterior and a soft and chewy middle.
Ingredients for Easy Meringues
- One large egg white
- 50g granulated white sugar
- Pre heat your oven to 100 degrees centigrade and move the shelf to its lowest point.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper
- Separate the egg white from the yolk
- Whisk the egg white until you get stiff peaks
- Gradually add the sugar in small amounts and whisk
- Whisk until all the granules of sugar are dissolved. Test by rubbing a small amount between two fingers and if you feel the grains then you’ll need to keep whisking
- Spoon onto the baking tray with a circular action then sculpt out the middle to provide somewhere to place your fruits and cream in the final presentation
- Place in the oven and bake for about one hour
- Turn off the heat and leave in the oven to cool over night
Share and let everyone know how you get on and what fillings you dressed your meringues with…