These Little Shortbread Biscuits Come With a Delicate Crunch
I love making these simple shortbread biscuits tray bake because the ingredients are simple to mix and bake.
They use a sweet pastry recipe as the basis but with a little change. Using golden caster sugar makes the shortbread a little crunchier and sweeter.
Ingredients For Shortbread Biscuits:
- 350g Plain flour
- 60g Semolina
- 125g cold unsalted butter
- 125g golden caster sugar
- 2 egg yolk (medium eggs)
- Large pinch of salt
How To Bake Shortbread Biscuits:
- Pre heat your oven to 150 degrees centigrade/Gas mark2
- Line a deep 24×18 inch baking tray with parchment paper using a little butter
- In a cool mixing bowl, mix the flour, semolina and salt together
- Chop the butter into small chunks and tip into the bowl
- Using your finger tips, rub the butter into the flour mix, dropping the pieces from a height as you do. You do not want to spread the butter with your finger tips, just gently crumb it with the flour.
- Keep mixing till you get a nice fine crumb
- Tip in the sugar and mix again
- Drop in the egg yolks and mix till everything becomes a little sticky, but still crumbly
- Tip into the baking tray and push the mix into the corners of the tray using your fingers. Level it off and prick with a fork all over.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 45-50 minutes.
- Take out and leave to cool slightly
- Remove the biscuit from the tray using the parchment paper and slice before it gets too cold. You should aim to make little shortbread biscuits about 6cm long by 4cm wide.