How To Make Basic Biscuits That Taste Great
This basic biscuit recipe is very simple to bake and tastes like shortbread. You can decorate them with white or dark chocolate or simply leave them plain.
You should get approximately 40 biscuits from this recipe.
Ingredients for basic biscuits:
- 300g Plain flour
- 200g Unsalted butter (cubed)
- 100g Golden caster sugar – you can use white but Golden adds a caramel flavour
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Egg yolk
How to make basic biscuits:
- Pre heat the oven to 160 degrees fan/gas mark 4
- Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper
- Mix flour, sugar and butter into a bowl using your finger tips.
- Once mixed to crumble state, add the vanilla extract and egg yolk.
- Mix again briefly into a dough.
- Lightly flour a worktop and roll out the dough to a depth of 5mm
- Cut into rounds using a 5cm cake cutter
- Place onto a lined baking tray and place in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes
- Take out and leave to cool completely.
To Decorate Your Biscuits (Optional):
Melt 100g of dark or white chocolate and either dip the biscuits into the bowl or pipe lines as in the photograph.